Monday, April 6, 2015

CT MRI Biopsy, Oh My!

Five weeks after surgery I was finally healed enough to lay flat for thirty minutes, and able to get a new MRI. The previous MRI showed a possible spot on the liver, but it wasn't a good scan because it was post-surgery. This was a big one. The one that would confirm stage III or IV. 

•I have a tiny 1.5 cm lesion on the liver.
•I'm officially diagnosed as stage IV.

A biopsy followed to confirm colon cancer. 

Enter the most painful thing I've experienced to date. Biopsy #1. Going in I knew there was a 50/50 chance it would be painful, and because of the location they didn't allow much sedation. I felt the crunch as the needle passed through my tissues. I was crying on the table. Crying! I am not a crier. I breathe or moan through pain. When I cry, it's bad. And the pain didn't go away after the procedure. Two rounds of morphine did nothing. Dilaudid finally got the pain under control. And then I spent the next five days drugged, attached to a heating pad. 

When you label something #1, there has to be a #2. Yep. All that pain and it wasn't a good sample. Just the thought of having go through that all over again had me in tears. But the second would be done at Emory, and I made them well aware of the pain I experienced during the first biopsy. The first was CT guided, but the Emory biopsy team came in and based on the location they wanted to do MRI guided. It meant I would have to reschedule, but if there was even a slight chance it would make the procedure less painful I jumped!

By the time the MRI assisted biopsy was scheduled, I had completed my first round of chemo. This time I was under twilight sedation. You can listen and complete tasks, but typically don't remember. Oh, I remember. I let out a good moan as the needle pushed through, the doctor was surprised that I was awoken by the pain and quickly increased the sedation meds. I was given a script for Percocet to manage any post procedure pain (I wasn't prescribed anything after the first biopsy). The team at Emory did a fantastic job, and I only had minor pain. Hallelujah! 

If your lesion is high, on the "top" of the liver, ask for a MRI guided biopsy. Seriously. No one needs to experience the level of pain I went through with the CT guided biopsy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment