Wednesday, July 8, 2015

MRI Check Up

Most people tend to get nervous before their MRI check ups, but because I had a CT that showed clear shrinkage I was feeling pretty good. At least until we started driving, and then nerves kicked in anyway. 

Dr. S (Surgeon 2) scheduled a consultation immediately following the MRI. I was expecting good news. What I got was the exact opposite. 

I have one lesion on the liver that measures 1.5 cm. What I was told is now I had four lesions. Four! (Somehow I remained fairly calm, fairly certain it was shock.) We were told I have one lesion in the middle, three surrounding. 

Then Fred asked about the markers he had placed during the MRI assisted biopsy. Blank face. "You had markers placed? How many?" (Um, yeah...three and YOU ordered them!) "Well, the radiologist is having a hard time reading the MRI." (Well, how about you & the radiologist read my damn chart before you unnecessarily scare a patient to death!) "I want to see you again after the radiologist has more time, I prefer in-person consultations." 

And then he started asking me questions about my ostomy surgery. He couldn't read the surgeon's handwriting. Totally get that, but maybe call the surgeon and ask him. (The questions were far too technical for a patient to answer, and others I simply didn't know.) 

Surgeon 2 questioning me about the ostomy and not Surgeon 1. The fact that he clearly hadn't read my chart and refreshed himself on my case before the consultation. I was left with a bad feeling about this surgeon, and if there is one thing I've learned it's trust my instincts! I went home that night and started searching for a second opinion. If he didn't straighten himself out by the next appointment, I was moving on!

The next appointment. He immediately starts talking surgery. We had to ask him for the MRI results. "It's shrunk 50%." (Okay, what about the other "lesions".) "They were reading the markers as lesions." (Thank you Jesus! ...MORONS! Next time read the chart!)

That's it. Very matter of fact. No excitement or fist-bump like Dr. H (my oncologist). But at least he had a conversation with Surgeon 1 and could clearly talk surgery and recommendations. 

Going Forward:  [TMI'ish Warning]

Liver resection surgery is planned for August 18th. Because of the location it will NOT be laparoscopic. I had already assumed that based the difficult biopsies. Recovery time is 4 weeks (I'll be in the hospital at least 5-days). 

The original colonoscopy didn't get past the bowel blockage. As a precaution, he wants to close the gap and get the other half checked. (I already had a consultation scheduled with Dr. T, a GI doctor.)

3 comments:

  1. Heather, I am praying and fasting for you. You are very blessed to have such a powerful advocate in yourself - trusting your gut, getting second opinions, all so important as you know so well. God bless you, strengthen you, heal you, and bring you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I am praying and fasting for you. You are very blessed to have such a powerful advocate in yourself - trusting your gut, getting second opinions, all so important as you know so well. God bless you, strengthen you, heal you, and bring you peace.

    ReplyDelete